[tex-live] problem with elsarticle.cls and hyperref

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 01:26:05 CEST 2012

2012/8/16 Robert Jäschke <jaeschke at l3s.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble to typeset a document with the elsarticle class in
> combination with the hyperref package.
>
> After the first run of pdflatex and a subsequent run of bibtex, a run of
> pdflatex produces the following output:
>
>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
> [...]
>> Document Class: elsarticle 2009/09/17, 1.2.0: Elsevier Ltd
> [...]
>> (./test.out) (./test.out) (./test.bbl
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> <argument> \let \bibinfo at X@doi
>>                                {10.1073/pnas.98.2.404}
>> l.12  \doi{\bibinfo{doi}{10.1073/pnas.98.2.404}}
>>                                                 .
>> ?
>
> The input files are the following:
>
> - --- file: test.tex ----------------------------------
> \documentclass{elsarticle}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \cite{test2012test}
>
> \bibliographystyle{elsarticle-num-names}
> \bibliography{test}
>
> \end{document}
> - -----------------------------------------------------
>
> - --- file: test.bib ----------------------------------
> @article{test2012test,
>   doi = {10.1073/pnas.98.2.404},
> }
> - -----------------------------------------------------
>
> If I remove the hyperref package, everything works fine. I am assuming
> that this is a TeXLive bug, since a search on the web brought me to
> http://www.latex-community.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14622
> where a similar problem is described and solved by switching to MikTeX:
>
>> Thanks a lot for your post. It helped me to figure out that the
>> problem is that I am using TeXLive. When I switch to MikTeX, it works
>> perfectly.
>

> Unfortunately, this is not an option for me. Can you confirm that this
> is a TeXLive bug? Are there any workarounds besides not using the
> hyperref package?

1. This is not a TeX Live vs MiKTeX problem. The difference is that
when the user switched from TeX Live to MiKTeX, he or she had
different versions of packages in MiKTeX than in TL

2. Do you really need hyperref with elsarticle? AFAIK elsarticle is
intended for articles in journals published by Elsevier. They will
certainly do hypertext references by their own means (references via
CrossRef etc). See their web page or the web page of Science Direct.

3. Have you checked the bugs fixed recently by Heiko?

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/