[tex-live] uninitialized line number in pdfTeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Sep 22 01:44:45 CEST 2011

    Therefore I have stripped down the example to a simple iniTeX file
    for pdfTeX (requires e-TeX because of \scantokens):

Thanks.  It's good to have a smaller example, and it does fail for me in
the same way with your invocation.

env MALLOC_CHECK_=3 MALLOC_PERTURB_=69 \
  pdftex --ini --etex --file-line-error wprob.tex

Using etex --ini, your example doesn't fail.

With my original code, using etex (when etex = pdftex in dvi mode) also
fails.  Not in --ini mode, though (because then texinfo.tex falls back
to the temp file emulation).

Anyway, I don't think ini vs. non-ini, or pdftex-as-etex vs. real-etex,
is important to the problem.  As far as I can see real-etex uses the
same print_file_line in tex.ch as pdftex (et al.) and has the same
problem.  I admit I didn't actually compile and try it, though, since I
knew Peter would ...

Thanks,
karl