[tex-live] bug in dvipdfmx wrt diacritics?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Sep 9 12:32:51 CEST 2011

Hi everyone

downstream at Debian we got a bug report concerning missing diacritics.
I confirmed that it is also a problem with an up2date TL2011 installation,
so it is nothing specific to TL2009 which we ship in Debian:

--------------
If you compile the latex below to DVI, and then to PDF using dvipdfmx,
dvipdfmx produces the following error and the resulting PDF contains
no diacritics.

** WARNING ** Obsolete four arguments of "endchar" will be used for
Type 1 "seac" operator.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{charter}
\begin{document}
chass\'e du G\"obe
\end{document}

If you replace charter by lmodern, it works, so the bug may be in the
font itself (Bitstream charter from
texlive-fonts-recommended, version: 2009-11)

When using dvipdfmx from TL2011 I get:
[1]
** WARNING ** Obsolete four arguments of "endchar" will be used for Type 1 "seac" operator.
** WARNING ** Obsolete four arguments of "endchar" will be used for Type 1 "seac" operator.

2517 bytes written

** WARNING ** 1 memory objects still allocated

Anyone having any idea?

Best wishes

Norbert