[tex-live] TL2011 on Win7

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Sep 3 01:06:43 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-02 at 22:51:57 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

 > 2011/8/25 Andreas Hirsch <cursus.publicus at sacrumromanumimperium.org>:
 > > That's the common sense as stated by for e.g. c't
 >
 > [citation requested]

Martin, I don't think that it's worthwhile to dig out old articles.
Imagine how much time it costs.  Would you do something like that
yourself?  Zdenek already said that the Windows firewall is too
restrictive.  As far as I understand it, it blocks incoming and
outgoing connections by default.  All DSL routers come with firewalls
which allow all outgoing connections and block all incoming
connections by default, and I think that this is safe enough.

I suppose that C't recommends to open the firewall for all outgoing
connections, not to switch it off completely.  I think that this
"little" difference caused the misunderstanding.

Jürgen, I don't think that Andreas referred to one of *your*
articles.  As far as I can tell, everything you wrote about TeX Live
in C't has always been 100% correct.

For those who don't know what we are talking about:  C't is a German
computer magazine.  It's on a relatively high level because the staff
of the publishing house consists mainly of computer scientists and
engineers.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25