[tex-live] tlmgr broken since upgrading wget

Kevin Klement klement at philos.umass.edu
Fri Sep 2 12:51:43 CEST 2011

Thanks for your help, Vladimir.

Yes, that seems to be the problem: the non-zero exit status of "wget
-V" or "wget --version".

I'll bring this up at the Arch forums as well. (Allan packaged wget;
ergo Allan broke it.)

In the meantime, I thought I'd share my temporary workaround. I
created a file $HOME/bin/wget, which comes before /usr/bin/wget in my
$PATH, which looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
if [[ "$1" == "-V" ]] || [[ "$1" == "--version" ]] ; then
    /usr/bin/wget $@
    exit 0
else
    /usr/bin/wget $@
    exit $?
fi

This returns a zero exit status if the first argument is "-V" or
"--version" and otherwise returns the normal exit status. Since it
comes first in my $PATH, it gets called instead of /usr/bin/wget.

With this, tlmgr seems to work OK, but it makes me a bit nervous that
it'll break something else.

I'll go ahead and bring this up at the Arch forums and see if anyone
can think of anything better.