[tex-live] images with multiple dots in filename rejected

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Sun Oct 30 19:24:55 CET 2011

I had this problem with teTeX and tried switching to TexLive-2011
hoping, this is fixed... When the name of an image-file referenced from
a document contains more than one dot, such as in "photo.*foo-1.jpg*",
the file is rejected:

    ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .*foo-1.jpg*.

Looking inside graphics.sty I see, that the parsing of the filename is
done by the filename at parse macro. It would seem to me, that macro is
simply buggy --- the last, rather than the first dot in the filename
should be treated as the first character before extension. But teTeX had
the same issue, so, perhaps, there are historical reasons for using the
first dot...

If so, then graphics.sty (or the grfext?) should not base its decision
on the macro's result.

Ideally, the image-file's type would be determined not from the file's
name, but from its content (using either the file(1) or the magic(3)
API, that file(1) itself is using).

Whatever the underlying reason, the images named like in the above
example should not rejected... Thanks! Yours,

    -mi