[tex-live] margins disappear in one distribution, not in another

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 04:24:08 CEST 2011

Hello,
** Gunther Jansen [2011-10-21 11:14:32 +0200]:

> Dear all,

> I encountered a curious issue today. While I am writing a report (in article
> style), my pdftex compilation yielded a strange pdf without margins and
> slightly differently sized pages. In other words, a really broken layout. The
> same code had worked before, though, so I did not understand where it came
> from. I write and compile my source files from vim with latex suite via pdftex
> (in SLED 11). However, if I transfer the *exact* same source code to my laptop
> with the same setup, it compiles fine, no problems with margins or page size.
> I next removed texlive entirely and installed it again, again to no avail.
> Where could this be symptomatic of?

> Here is the code:

> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx,fancyhdr}
> \usepackage[english]{babel}
> \usepackage[font=small,format=plain,width=10cm,labelfont=bf,up,textfont=it,up]
> {caption}

> \author{Gunther Jansen}
> \date{}
> \title{Interim report 2}
> \pagestyle{fancy}
> \lhead{Gunther Jansen}
> \chead{report}
> \rfoot{\thepage}
> \rhead{}
> \lfoot{}
> \cfoot{}
> \renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.4pt}
> \renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0.4pt}

> \begin{document}
> \maketitle

> couple of sections with pure text
> one figure imported as pdf

> \end{document}

Hm, you problem may be not TeX Live related. Please, add '\listfiles' at
top of the file run pdflatex on it again on both systems and check log
files. It would be best if after that you post both log files.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Better living a beggar than buried an emperor.