[tex-live] failed messages on updating texlive2011

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Oct 21 03:11:04 CEST 2011

On 10/20/2011 06:00 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:

[...]

> Sometimes I ask myself why people don't know the difference between
> root and normal user, and why we have to do Unix consulting jobs?

Because we learn to drive *in a car*, be it ours, or a friend's or a
driving school car ---we  don't learn everything we need to know outside
a car and then take the wheel for the very first time.

I know it should be truly exasperating for you to reply thousands of
times to the same mistakes us, newbies, make. But, on the other hand,
it's not fair to have more patience with Windows and Mac users than with
Linux users.

On 10/20/2011 06:26 PM, George N. White III wrote:

[...]

 > Because the only way things get done is because some people step up
 > and do tasks that belong to others.

I don't think that's fair either ---almost everything we know is because
someone has teach us. But if you mean what you say below...

 > Linux distros have made the mistake of trying to replace windows
 > without guidance to users on the things they need to learn.

I disagree also. To start with, GNU/Linux should be for the common
people. That's why distributions like *Ubuntu and Linux Mint are so
increasingly popular, while Gentoo Linux..., well, they want it like
that ---just for geeks.

And I strongly disagree as well because nowadays is really a myth that
Windows or even Mac OS are easier to use than GNU/Linux ---beyond
surfing the web or using a word processor (equally easy on Linux), I
really find Windows a lot harder to use than Linux; and MacOS and Linux
are just as easy or as hard, as you want to see it. Or maybe Linux is
easier after all ---you can get TeXLive (even if it is 2007), Emacs,
etc., etc., from your distro repositories, but you don't get such thing
from Apple.

We need more Nixie Pixels:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nixiedoeslinux

Best