[tex-live] failed messages on updating texlive2011

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 00:16:01 CEST 2011

2011/10/21 Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de>:
> 2011/10/20 ravi <rv15cap at gmail.com>:
>> I am a newcomer to ubuntu linux and tex. Starting from a fresh installation
>> with ubuntu 11.10, I installed texlive 2011 from its iso image on a dvd.
>> Initially, tlmgr didn't work for me as I was denied access. Thanks to help
>> from Stefan Löffler, I used the following command to get ownership of the
>> texlive installation:
>> chown -R "$USER" /usr/local/texlive
>
> That's bad advice. Either use the TL from Ubuntu or install TL2011
> from TUG. Mixing things will probably not work and I consider
> supporting it a waste of time, sorry.

No, this particular advice is correct. The command just changes the
ownership of the installed TL from TUG so that tlmgr can later be run
by a user, no root, no sudo will be needed. Moreover, TL2012 could
then also be installed by a user due to ownership of
/usr/local/texlive.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/