[tex-live] texi2dvi in executable path?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 00:00:14 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Robin Fairbairns
<Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> texinfo was removed from TeX Live a few years ago, but may be available as a
>> (nonfree!) package if you are using linux, macports on MacOS X, etc.
>
> texinfo _is_ in tex live, and has never, to my knowledge, been out of it
> since sebastian put together the very first one.  a non-free package for
> texinfo, or for texi2dvi, would seem eccentric, since both are licensed
> gpl.

in the svn log there is:
 --------------
r11963 | karl | 2009-01-25 02:57:18 +0100 (Sun, 25 Jan 2009) | 1 line

remove texinfo
  [...]

Changed paths:
  ---------------

This refers to the texinfo binaries: info, etc.  The texinfo macro file
as well as some info docs are in TL -- but the programs no longer
included are:

info (1)             - read Info documents
makeinfo (1)         - translate Texinfo documents
pdftexi2dvi (1)      - convert Texinfo documents to PDF
texi2dvi (1)         - convert Texinfo documents to DVI
texi2pdf (1)         - create a PDF file from a Texinfo file
texindex (1)         - sort Texinfo index files

As I recall, there were some portability problems
coupled with general lack of interest in the info
format on platforms not already supported by the
distro or vendor.

> (actually, i think it's illegal to relicense anything under gpl as
> non-free.)
>
> robin

Debian has its own notions of free vs non-free.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia