[tex-live] texi2dvi in executable path?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 23:30:54 CEST 2011

Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/10/3 Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl>:

> >> texinfo _is_ in tex live, and has never, to my knowledge, been out of it
> >> since sebastian put together the very first one.  a non-free package for
> >> texinfo, or for texi2dvi, would seem eccentric, since both are licensed
> >> gpl.
> >
> > I was not quite accurate. There is no texinfo format, but there _is_
> > a texinfo macro package, and it is still in TL.
> >
> > On my Ubuntu system I have a package texinfo-doc-nonfree. Debian has
> > its own standard of free. The converters and some of the
> > documentation are Debian-free, but other pieces of the documentation
> > are not.
>
> AFAIK in Debian documentation is free iff all its sources are free and
> available under a free license.

i wonder what it's using that is non-free; the main texinfo
documentation file bears a statement of availability under gpl, and the
readme in the same directory says it's all available under gpl.

all very strange, but debian people are pretty picky about licences.
maybe they've found a non-gpl full stop somewhere.

(of course, according to their rules, tex itself is non-free.  is tex in
a debian non-free package?  we categorise it under a licence "knuth" in
the catalogue, and tex live follows us when karl doesn't put us right.
but istm that "knuth" licence isn't debian free.)

robin