[tex-live] TeX Live 2010 : odd behaviour after moving to spare system on removable disc

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Nov 7 23:05:55 CET 2011

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Good!  They usually cause more problems than they solve.  Well, the
> question is: Did you set TEXMFLOCAL as an environment variable on your
> *old* system

No !  I simply did a standard (for me) install, carrying
out my standard customisations at install time; what
surprised (and still surprises) me is that I don't
seem able to change these customisations retrospectively
using TLMGR.

Thank you for your other suggestions, Reinhard : as I have
never understood (and perhaps never will) "$SELFAUTOPARENT"
(is this a Unix term that is, and should be, meaningless
gibberish to the rest of us ?!), I feel on dangerous ground
using it; if I /were/ to risk using it, how would you
cast my present "TeXmf.cnf" (which, I discovered retrospectively)
/is/ in I:\TeX\Live\2010 but fails to declare itself as such
because Windows believes it to be a "SpeedDial" file for which,
despite having been told to /always/ shew extensions, and
/never/ to hide them, Windows (XP/Pro;SP3) /insists/ on hiding
the extension :-(

** Phil.