[tex-live] problem with babel package

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri May 20 09:32:11 CEST 2011

On Do, 19 Mai 2011, Philipp Stephani wrote:
> I think the most common problem for TeX Live in Ubuntu is that the packages are always outdated.

Which again comes from the fact that Ubuntu takes from Debian, and I package
for Debian only what will go into a release. TL2005 got into woody
TL 2007 in etch, TL2009 in squeeze, in TL2011 probably into the next release.

That is in general a distribution problem, hey *never* can provide
the newest packages if the release cycle is 1-2 years.

And *honestly* since when was it sooooo urgent to have always the newest
and shiniest LaTeX package?

Those who *really* need this kind of stuff usually are able to fetch
it from CTAN and put it into TEXMFHOME.

> For example, in 2009, Ubuntu still had TL 2007,

This is wrong. You have to say *WHICH* version of Ubuntu.
It always depends on the release.

> and now they still have TL 2009. Since the TL package maintainers are usually volunteers, this makes it hard to support the Ubuntu packages upstream.

So are the Debian packagers, namely me, acting both upstrream and
as Debian packager.

If not more people step forward and actually *help* then it will be
always like that. I simply have limited time and need to support
the released versions in Debian with fixes, plus write tlmgr.

Best wishes

Norbert
SUTTON and CHEAM (nouns)
Sutton and cheam are the kinds of dirt into which all dirt is
divided. 'Sutton' is the dark sort that always gets on to
light-coloured things, 'cheam' the light-coloured sort that clings to
dark items. Anyone who has ever found Marmite stains on a dress-shirt
or seagull goo on a dinner jacket (a) knows all about sutton and
cheam, and (b) is going to some very curious dinner parties.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff