[tex-live] When is a package removed from TeX Live?

Leo Liu leoliu.pku at gmail.com
Fri May 13 01:43:58 CEST 2011

Thanks for the reply. It's clear now.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philipp Stephani [mailto:st_philipp at yahoo.de]
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 3:29 AM
To: Leo Liu
Cc: tex-live at tug.org
Subject: Re: [tex-live] When is a package removed from TeX Live?

Packages are removed when there are license problems (i.e., if it is not made clear that the package is released under a free license): http://ctan.org/pkg/slashbox and http://ctan.org/pkg/showdim state that the licensing conditions are unknown. Unfortunately many of the older packages lack a license statement, in which case TeX Live has to assume a restrictive non-free license. In general the copyright holders are then asked to clarify the license statement, but sometimes they are not reachable. In that case there is no other choice than removing the package; but it should always remain on CTAN.