[tex-live] texworks updates on darwin

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Mar 31 04:15:02 CEST 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 17:33 , Karl Berry wrote:

> As long as there is no (current) TW for the Mac, which there isn't, all
> the TW files are useless baggage.  We include them in the
> platform-independent part so that people who do have a current binary
> can use them instead of separately downloading/installing them.  At
> least I think that was our theory ... I admit I'm not completely
> convincing myself :) ...

I don't want to complain too loudly about this, but I suspect that
TW on the Mac would include all of that stuff inside the application
bundle.  If that's the case, they're never used here.

>    Strangely, after forcibly removing collection-texworks, it's still
>    using 20 MB of disk space:
>
> I wonder if the corrected tlpobj hadn't made it to your system when you
> ran the remove.  That would be the simplest answer.

OK, I reinstalled it and updated, then tried to remove again.

$ wc -l /usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/tlpobj/texworks.tlpobj
     481 /usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/tlpobj/texworks.tlpobj

$ head /usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/tlpobj/texworks.tlpobj
name texworks
category TLCore
revision 21873
shortdesc Cross-platform friendly front end.
longdesc See http://tug.org/texworks for information and downloads. TeX
longdesc Live includes executables only for Windows.

$ sudo tlmgr remove --force collection-texworks
Password:
tlmgr: collection-texworks is needed by scheme-full scheme-gust scheme-medium
tlmgr: removing it anyway, due to --force
remove collection-texworks
tlmgr: actually removed these packages: collection-texworks
tlmgr: package log updated at /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/web2c/tlmgr.log

$ du -sk /usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/texworks
20156	/usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/texworks

I checked the tlpobj, and it appears to have the relevant files, but they
aren't being removed.  Guess I could try reverting texlive.infra and see
if that makes a difference?

thanks,
Adam