[tex-live] sagetex.sty

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:08:33 CEST 2011

2011/6/13 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
> Le 13/06/2011 03:13, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
>> On 2011-06-13 at 01:26:33 +0200, Pavel Striz wrote:
>>
>>  > Good afternoon,
>>  >
>>  > I was experimenting with Sage and SageTeX (Ubuntu, texlive-full).
>>  > The thing I have discovered which would be nice to have to save
>>  > some time is the latest version of the sagetex.sty file in the TeX
>>  > Live distribution.  All the other approaches recommended in the
>>  > SageTeX documentation and in the Internet forums would become just
>>  > unneccesary workarounds.
>>
>> Good night,
>> I fear that it's not possible to include sagetex.sty.  Linux
>> distributors dislike overlapping packages (Sage/TeX Live), which is
>> understandable.
>>
> OTOH, it could in tlcontrib: it would be almost as convenient for the user, and
> wouldn't annoy Linux distributors at all.

Is the SageTeX package invariant between Sage versions? TL may contain
just a single version of the package. If a user installs another
version of Sage binary, it won't work. I am not sure whether the aim
of TL is to include all pieces of software that are able to provide
output in TeX. How about R!-project? It can also output TeX. IMHO the
right way is exactly opposite. For instance, Adobe Reader recognizes
major web browsers and installs automatically its plugin to the
correct directory. Sage should similarly recognize major TeX
distributions and install SageTeX to texmf-local in Tl, lofaltexmf in
MiKTeX etc.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/