[tex-live] TeXLive 2011 and Solaris Intel---More info

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu
Thu Jun 9 05:36:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 11:32:47PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     having had to modify texk/kpathsea/Makefile.in to explicitly invoke gawk
>     instead of awk
>
> Is there any way you can find out where awk failed?  (On
> cnf-to-paths.awk.) I went to some trouble to avoid requiring gawk when I
> wrote that script -- or so I thought.

I get:

awk -f bsnl.awk texmf.cnf | awk -f cnf-to-paths.awk
awk: syntax error near line 29
awk: illegal statement near line 29
awk: syntax error near line 30
awk: illegal statement near line 30
awk: syntax error near line 33
awk: illegal statement near line 33
awk: syntax error near line 34
awk: illegal statement near line 34
awk: syntax error near line 40
awk: illegal statement near line 40
awk: illegal statement near line 40

with the sed in between the pipe the result is the same. The first awk
works, the culprit is the second one.

I have just discovered that nawk (which is /usr/xpg4/bin/awk) works too.

>     Several binaries, for example pdftex, require libgcc_s.so.6 and
>     libstdc++.so.6,

> The source tree goes to a lot of trouble to statically link the C++
> libraries by default.  (source/m4/kpse-cxx-hack.m4)

I wonder whether that's at all possible on Solaris >= 10...?  Anyway,
if gcc is installed  _and_ ld.so.1 is correctly configured, it's not
going to be a problem. (The best solution would probably be to build
with the RPATH variable set.)

Let me know if there's anything that should be done with the binaries.
BTW, they are built with the arch names i386-pc-solaris2.10 and
x86_64-pc-solaris2.10 for 32 and 64 bits, respectively.

--Ettore

--
Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University