[tex-live] tlmgr update --self

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnnl.gov
Tue Jun 7 19:42:52 CEST 2011

On Jun 6, 2011, at 22:20, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Mo, 06 Jun 2011, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>> tlmgr, though I have to launch it so many times that I wouldn't quite
>> say with Norbert that tlpdb loading is not an issue...
>
> With the recent changes in texlive.infra, or the pretest version? Loading
> time was reduced to 1sec around (thanks goes to Manuel and Karl!)

Believe me, I appreciate the loading time improvement!  Last I checked,
I think running tlmgr show is twice as fast with the pretest.

However, one of the things I do is call `tlmgr show --list foo` for
packages on demand, and that takes ~1.5 s on my desktop Mac.  Curiously,
it only takes 0.9 s on my Linux box (both running 2011 pretest).  Since
I also run texdoc to get a list of documentation, total time to show
info on a package is about 2 seconds, which is a noticeable lag for a
GUI.

I might end up parsing the tlpdb myself for this purpose, so I can keep
it in-memory; I wrote a toy Python program last year that does it in
under a second, but haven't tried to plug it into TLU.  So far only 1-2
users have complained, though...

For update/install, the 1.5 second time is meaningless compared to the
download/unpack time, so I don't see it as worth your time to worry
about it.

thanks,
Adam