[tex-live] tlmgr update --self

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 05:46:05 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> On Mo, 06 Jun 2011, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>> > - should use update --list first, then --all --self if necessary,
>> >  otherwise only --all
>>

>> Unless a repository is specified (in a command line or before it)
>> sequence of commands rather than a single command can produce funny
>> results as at the specific moment mirror repositories used may be out
>> of sync and therefore --list (or --dry-run) may be misrepresenting
>> what --all produces. I have observed such behaviour at some moment.
>
> You can manually save a specific mirror with
>        tlmgr option repository your-selected-mirror

Which is exactly what I wrote (without recipe). I pointed just to
possible side effect unless care taken off.

However if applied by many it would be not very healthy to the load balancing.

On the other hand, it looks like TeXLive Utility "saves" a temporary
mirror for a session. May be in the future tlmgr could be able to work
in the "session" mode as well:

% tlmgr [options]
repository SERVER-NAME
tlmgr> update --list
tlmgr> update --self
tlmgr> update --all
tlmgr> reinstall my-crap
tlmgr> exit
%

Here % is a shell-prompt and tlmgr> is tlmgr prompt. Sure it will not
a solve problem with a several computers when admin wants them to have
exactly the same version.

Victor