[tex-live] All hyphen-packages necessary for UTF-8?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:17:28 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 15:01, Philipp wrote:
> I'm running TeX Live 2010 on FreeBSD and I get an error everytime I'm compiling.
>
> For instance:
> /usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-cop.tex|29 error| I can't find file `copthyph.tex'. \input copthyph.tex
> /usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-cop.tex|29 error| Emergency stop.
> /usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-cop.tex|| ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> If I install the copthyph-package I will get the next error that ruhyphen.tex is missing and so on.
>
> Do I have to install all available hyphen-packages in order to use UTF-8 as the input encoding? My default language is ngerman.

(First of all: the ability to use UTF-8 as input encoding has almost
nothing to do with hyph-utf8 and utf8 patterns.)

But no, you definitely don't need to install all hyphen packages. I
don't know what you did exactly, but this either looks like packaging
problem that has to be reported to whoever created the texlive package
for FreeBSD, or you did some modifications with
language.dat/.def/.dat.lua. If you install TL from CTAN, you should
not experience that problem.

hyph-utf8 indeed depends on Russian, Ukrainian, German, Coptic, Greek
and maybe some other pattern packages. Bun in the standard TeX Live
Greek language is not enabled in language.dat/.def/.dat.lua if you
don't install hyphen-[ancient]greek, and in MikTeX those packages are
installed on the fly if you enable Greek hyphenation.

Mojca