[tex-live] [a little ot] Using 'TUG' TL on ubuntu

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Jul 6 16:35:54 CEST 2011

Hi TL'ers

Since the Ubuntu TL is so far behind the official TUG, I usually advise
Ubuntu users to install the TUG (or what its real name is) version, and
also add the equivs systems as mentioned on the TUG home page.

This usually works fine.

The other day I just noticed a thing.

I was writing a bit for my LaTeX book about spell checking in TeXmaker,
and just installed it in ubuntu. Along with it came also tex-common and
a few more. Ok, should not be a problem, I have my TUG TL first in the path.

But it actually did mess something up. My xdvi could no longer display
any DVI files, due to a font issue (I of course cannot remember the
error message).

Does anyone know what the issue can be here? Because then I will mention
it in my notes on how one install TUG TL in ubuntu.

Everything went back to normal when I uninstalled texmaker and did a
autoremove to remove ubuntu stuff that were no longer needed.

(I guess installing texmaker using
     sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends texmaker
might have helped)

--

/daleif