[tex-live] I must be missing something with TeX...

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Jan 31 18:34:19 CET 2011

Tim Legg wrote:

 > I decided to try using TeX again.  I installed texlive-full in Ubuntu.
 >
 > I also used texworks as a frontend.  I cannot find a single tutorial or
 > hello world type of document that will work using it.  I have probably
 > seen the better portion of the set of possible errors, no matter which of
 > the document choices I used.

For TeX, PdfTeX, eTeX, XeTeX, and probably LuaTeX :

	Hello, World
	\end

For LaTeX, PdfLaTeX, XeLaTeX, and probably LuaLaTeX :

	\documentclass {minimal}
	\begin {document}
	    Hallo, World
	\end {document}

 > There are so many splinter groups, each with their own standard and there
 > doesn't seem to be any cross compatibility between the document standards
 > (between tex, Latex, xetex, xelatex and so on)

Yes, there are differences.  If you prefer stability, then use TeX :
Don Knuth has decreed that there will be no further changes, only
essential bug fixes, and (on his demise) TeX will be frozen for ever.

 > How bad does it have to get before somebody decides that things need to be
 > re-organized and a common standard is developed?  Because, as it is, this
 > is just ridiculous.

If there were a common standard, there would not be TeX, eTeX, XeTeX,
LuaTeX, ConTeXt, or any of the variants with the letters "La" interpolated.
As it is, you have a choice : select which ever dialect you prefer,
then stick with it.

Philip Taylor
--
Not sent from my i-Pad, i-Phone, Blackberry, Blueberry, or any
such similar poseurs' toy, none of which would I be seen dead