[tex-live] I must be missing something with TeX...

Gerrit Glabbart g.glabbart at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:33:29 CET 2011

Am 30.01.2011 um 03:01 schrieb Tim Legg:

> How bad does it have to get before somebody decides that things need to be
> re-organized and a common standard is developed?

You’re welcome to try! ;)

More seriously, yes, there is a (reasonably steep, admittedly) learning curve, and I’ll bet all the different TeXes can be confusing at first — but if you’ve used any flavor of TeX in the past (and that is what it sounded like to me), this should not have been overly surprising.

Now that you have vented your frustration, is there something anyone can do to help? Because in that case, a) this is probably not the best place for it (the list is not a TeX user group as such, rather a forum for matters specific to the TeX Live distribution, i.e. the bits of software that automagically install, set up, and keep up-to-date a compilation of hundreds of individually written packages), and b) people at any place that might be better suited (and we might be able to make recommendations) will probably ask you to be a lot more specific.