[tex-live] scheme modern

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Thu Jan 6 23:22:58 CET 2011

Am 06.01.2011 um 21:34 schrieb Robin Fairbairns:

> Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
>
>> There is no usable (for modern engines) Arabic fonts in texlive AFAIK,
>> so Arabic users are not losing that much (Also Arabic fonts tend to be
>> small, < 100kb each). I doubt there is much usable CJK font either.
>
> do such (free) fonts exist?

Khaled is currently creating the Amiri font.

> if so, why not get them on ctan so they
> _will_ appear in texlive in due course?

I suppose Khaled will upload his font once it's finished. But in general I don't know whether CTAN should contain all free fonts that exist. For example, I have the following free fonts installed that are not part of TeX Live: Aller, Charis SIL, DejaVu, jsMath, Neo Euler, Vollkorn. DejaVu alone is over eight megabytes big.

> it seems to me that we've quite a lot of "bits" of tex work for using
> middle eastern and north african languages, but nothing to draw them
> together.  it would be really pleasing if a focus could emerge, on
> putting the pieces together for such potential users.

Responding to this d.c.t.t thread
https://groups.google.com/group/de.comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/b97c763cdbb3f89f/5f1fbc56deb8dfc6
we have tried to get Persian or Arabic output with LuaLaTeX, but were largely unsuccessful, even though that should work out of the box. I think my last example was almost fine, but there is no documentation or user-level package at all. Currently ConTeXt seems to be the only modern (Unicode, OpenType, LuaTeX) system with support for non-Latin scripts.