[tex-live] I must be missing something with TeX...

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sat Feb 5 04:35:52 CET 2011

Hi Tim,

I will not take up your offer of a ``cheque'' since here it is useless
to me. And of course I assume that Cherokee.ttf is both free to use
and freely available on the Internet and does not just reside on your
computer, otherwise it is impossible for anyone to comply with your
offer. By the way, help is proffered on this list by volunteers and so
it is to me a little insulting to be given a ``challenge'' such as
this in an environment that is both free and open. Where sharing of
information is given freely and does not require inducements or
competition in order to extract knowledge from those who are here and
are willing to help. Of course that is just me and there may be others
who desperately need 100 smackers...

I think that maybe there is something at fault with your installation.
However, without your providing even an output log so that your
problem can be resolved means can only be anyone's guess. At a guess
then, while you may have installed TeXLive correctly (pretty hard to
mess up really) you have not told the client application you are using
where it has been installed and so while the binaries may be found as
they are on the PATH, the style files, etc. can't be. This may also
explain why the job works in some applications or on the CL but not in
your client.

There are instructions on how to install fonts into LaTeX, XeTeX, et
al and with TeX many, many languages are supported, not just English
as you claim. However it is the code sets that variants of TeX support
that seems to be more to your point. Things have come a very long way
since the 90's and it appears some reading is in order. Hence have you
investigated XeTeX?

Installation of fonts examples:
http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm
http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Font_Installation