[tex-live] Hints about checking for win32 compatibility for fragmaster perl script

Agustin Martin agustin6martin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 18:40:01 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 01:58:09AM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 3 February 2011 Agustin Martin wrote:
>
>  > [Plaese cc me replies, I am not subscribed to texlive list]
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I recently adopted fragmaster perl script, both for Debian and as
>  > new upstream. It is a tool that helps to use of psfrag together
>  > with pdflatex. It creates single graphics files with embedded
>  > psfrag substitutions, ready for use by pdflatex or latex.
>  >
>  > I recently uploaded a new version to CTAN with some minimal changes
>  > to make the script work under win32 (version currently shipped with
>  > texlive does not work on win32 because of some unix'isms).
>  > Since texlive bundles the script with some stuff in a binary file,
>  > I wonder if the above will (work|be enough) and if there are more
>  > win32 (info about other operating system is also welcome)
>  > incompatibilities I should worry about.
>
> The file bin/win32/fragmaster.exe does not contain any code related to
> fragmaster.  This program is just a copy of bin/win32/runscript.exe.
> It passes its basename (fragmaster) and the command line options to
> the texlua script bin/win32/runscript.tlu.  runscript.tlu determines
> the location of fragmaster.pl in $TEXMF using kpathsea.  Then it sets
> up the environment in order to make the hidden Perl and Ghostscript
> visible to your script and finally starts your script.
>
> The wrappers are described in detail in bin/win32/runscript.tlu.

Thanks a lot. This was really useful.

I had the wrong idea that it was some sort of precompiled stuff. I have just
checked that just putting new fragmaster.pl in the scripts directory instead
of old one will make new script to be used. So I can now do "real" check in
a "real" (emulated) win32 texlive installation. Wonderful!

No problem with batch files, they were just a hack to allow me some checking
with my then very limited knowledge of the wrappers system. Nothing intended
to be shipped.

Your mail also addresses another question I had in mind. Since I saw no
updates in the binary bin/win32/fragmaster.exe I wondered who should I ping
to have it updated. Noticed after your mail that I should watch real script
under scripts, and it is already updated. Wonderful again.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

--
Agustin