[tex-live] windows multiple tl versions

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu Dec 29 13:36:15 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 08:29:45PM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2011-12-28 at 11:58:07 +0100, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>  > 2011/12/26 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:
>  > > Do any conflicts result?
>  >
>  > Normally not.
>  > But see http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/39407/5763
>
> This is not specific to Windows and won't work on Unix neither.
>
> You can invoke a program which is not in PATH by specifying the whole
> path on the command line if, and only if, this program doesn't invokes
> other programs.
>
> We always recommend not do so but set PATH properly.
>
> A good solution is to create a batch file which sets environment
> variables locally and starts a new shell.
>
> Siep wrote such a batch file in order to run TL from a USB stick.  It
> can easily be adapted in order to run old versions of TL.

This has since been replaced with a binary `tray icon' written by
Tomek Trzeciak. TL2011 does contain a batchfile
<root>/tlpkg/installer/tl-cmd.bat (originally by me, improved by
Tomek) to start a command prompt with the correct path.  You could
copy it as-is to the analogous location of an older TL >= 2008.
TL2011 should contain a shortcut for this command-prompt.

--
Siep Kroonenberg