[tex-live] updating sym links

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 6 00:21:22 CET 2011

Hi Bob,

    When new packages are installed by tlmgr --all, it seems new sym links
    to binaries or man pages aren't added in the usual places, such as
    /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/share/man. Is this a bug or a feature?

The "usual place" in my life is /usr/local/texlive/YYYY/bin/* (and man,
similarly), which does get updated.

Of course, you're talking about the system directories.  As far as I'm
conerned, it's a feature that we don't play around with system
directories on updates.

I believe you can update your system directories if you choose to by running
  tlmgr path add
but I can't say I've ever tried it, except for a little testing after
Norbert implemented it ...
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlmgr.html#path____w32mode_user_admin___add_remove_

Best,
Karl