[tex-live] Updating and anti-virus software on Windows

Rainer Göllner rgoellner at gmx.de
Wed Aug 17 18:25:03 CEST 2011

On 17.08.2011 16:08, T T wrote:
> I suspect
> the problem happens when AV (or some other service) opens a file,
> while tar tries to change its time stamp immediately after extraction
> and this fails.  Depending on when exactly AV kicks in, failures will
> happen at random.

That description fits well with my experience.

> I've just committed a patch (see below), which will hopefully make the
> problem go away.  It should be available from tomorrow in tlcritical
> (for testing knowledgeable folks can simply replace
> tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm with the one from our repository or patch
> this file manually).

Sorry, I was too "knowledgeable" a folk, just inserted the m flag.

> I would appreciate reports whether this patch actually solves the
> problem.
Yes. I have never before seen the full installation come to
an end with the virus scanner running, at least not this fast :-)
[2220/2223, 28:54/28:54] install: collection-texinfo [1k]
[2221/2223, 28:54/28:54] install: collection-texworks [1k]
[2222/2223, 28:54/28:54] install: collection-xetex [1k]
[2223/2223, 28:54/28:54] install: scheme-full [1k]

Thank you so much,
  Rainer

PS: Of course, the side effects will only show up when you
really commit ;)