[tex-live] Updating and anti-virus software on Windows

Rainer Göllner rgoellner at gmx.de
Sun Aug 14 21:43:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

In a thread starting about a week ago, installing tex-live, there was
a hint by some George N. White III concerning "anti-virus software
not being able to keep up". That's the exact wording for a problem
I think I'm struck with: One installer run breaks after maybe about
1500 packages, the next try after 20. Same for updating with
texlive manager: It may update 20 packages before it stops or
just 2. It's completley irregular, just like a hickup - you think it's
over, then it starts again. If I turn off the virus scanner, all is well.
Seems to me like the anti-virus software is holding a file back
while the TeX software wants to access it.

Does anyone know which part of the virus scanner is the culprit?
Or is my suspicion completly wrong?

I use NOD32 with Windows 7, 32bit on a notebook and 64bit on
a PC. For a while I used Kaspersky, the problem was the same.
The upgrade from TeX Live 2010 to 2011 didn't make any
difference either.

Thanks,
  Rainer