[tex-live] Rubber and Tex Live Native

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 14:42:49 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> PLEASE STAY ON LIST!!!!!!
> (EVERYONE ... PRIVATE ANSWERS DO NOT!!! MAKE SENSE!!!!!!)
>
> On Fr, 05 Aug 2011, raphael.lallement wrote:
>> I already have TL201 in my path and I export the path in my .bashrc (script called on startup of the session). The problem is that I have two TL and it's seems that the wrong one is used.
>
> If the TL from 2011 in /usr/local comes first in the path that shoudl be irrelevant. I, too, have two TL in the path, one from Debian and one from the TL2011 installation.

This is the key point -- TL is designed so that it runs independently
of whatever other TeX system(s) may be present, based entirely on the
PATH setting.  Arranging to have the PATH set appropriately is a linux
administration issue that can get tricky depending on how the
system is used (more than one user, do you want to use gedit
via ssh logins, etc.).  There are many sources of information on
linux configuration, ranging from excellent to horrific.

A workaround while you locate and read a good linux command line
reference is to put a wrapper, call it something like
"tlgedit",in $HOME/bin:

#! /bin/bash
# wrapper to force gedit to run with the following PATH
PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-linux:$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
exec /usr/bin/gedit "$@"

You can now start this from a shell prompt or adjust the properties of
the gedit launcher
to use your "tlgedit" version.

>> - I write a document using biblatex (and commands such as printbibliography)
>> - Use rubber to compile and get : Package Biblatex Error : Outdated 'etoolbox' package

You can check the versions in the .log file, which may also reveal
other issues with
TeX's search paths, etc.

> Does it use TL2011 or the TL that comes with your Ubuntu?
>
>> To compare I run pdflatex and so but using the full path to the executable, and evrithing works fine.
>
> That means that rubber somehow picks the wrong TeX?
>
> I thing that putting the PATH adjustment in the .bashrc IS*NOT*ENOUGH*!!!!

Did you log out after adjusting %HOME/.bashrc?  If you are starting
gedit from a system menu,
the relevant .bashrc is the one that is loaded when you log on.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia