[tex-live] Using tlmgr/TeXLive utility to install local versions of a package

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Aug 7 12:40:13 CEST 2011

Hi Alan,

PLEASE STAY ON LIST!!!

On Fr, 05 Aug 2011, Alan Munn wrote:
> For complex packages like pgf and beamer, for example, or some of the things that now depend on latex3, it's sometimes useful to keep the old version in the main tree and test out the newer version separately.  Installation for small packages is obviously quite easy, but for larger ones with dependencies it would be nice to use tlmgr for the task.

You can alway make a manual backup before updating with tlmgr, and then
revert to the previous version.

I see that it might have usage patterns, but the problem is that it opens
a can of worms, because then sometimes the package in TEXMFHOME will be
much older than the one in main, but we cannot report on that.

Best wishes

Norbert