[tex-live] Location of recorder file

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 28 02:06:12 CEST 2011

Philipp,

Getting back to the recorder file issues you wrote about starting
with a message on 21 Sep 2010 16:28:58:

- The only recent change was to insert the pid in the original fls name.
  Ordinarily (in all engines), it still gets renamed to be the same as
  the log file (s/log/fls).  This was done in response to a Debian bug
  report: http://bugs.debian.org/575731.

- All the other stray behavior you mention has been there "forever", as
  far as I know.  TeX's command-line behavior is idiosyncratic to say
  the best -- "texput", CTRL-D, etc., etc.  Once you start trying to
  process TeX input on the command line, all bets on "normal" behavior
  are off.

- It's not possible for the fls file to always be the same as the log
  file because the recording starts long before the log file is known.
  Once you

- I have no good idea as to why the LaTeX-on-command-line example:
 pdflatex --recorder --output-directory=../b \
 '\documentclass{minimal}\csname @@end\endcsname'

  ends up with the fls in the current directory, while the plain TeX
  example puts it in the output-directory.  I can reproduce it on my
  Unix system; also no idea why Windows is different, but not surprised.
  But the behavior is the same in older years, so I'm not going to
  worry about it.  If you want to debug it and send a patch, great.

In lieu of code fixes, I wrote some caveats in web2c.texi regarding
-recorder.  Sorry.

karl