[tex-live] 404 Can't chdir to tlpkg

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sat Apr 23 08:37:38 CEST 2011

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2011-04-22 at 23:37:45 +0200, Arno Trautmann wrote:
>
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > I keep getting this message when trying to use tlmgr update:
>  >
>  > arno at robocat> tlmgr update --all
>  > tlmgr: package repository ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/CTAN/
>  > TLDownload::get_file: response error:
>  >   404 Can't chdir to tlpkg
>  > permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
>  > succeed!Retrying with wget.
>  > TLDownload::get_file: response error:
>  >   404 Can't chdir to tlpkg
>  > permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
>  > succeed!Retrying with wget.
>  > Cannot load TeX Live database from
>  > ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/CTAN/ at
>  > /home/texlive2010/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr line 4554.
>  >
>  > Typing the error message into google did not result in anything.
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes
>    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP-Statuscode

I searched for "404 Can't chdir to tlpkg" as I hoped it was an issue
that happend to other TL users …

> Try
>

>    tlmgr option location ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet

Yes, this works now, thank you! It's kind of strange, though, that it
had worked the other way before. At least I think so, but maybe I just
changed something sometime …

Thank you for the quick answer,
cheers
Arno