[tex-live] 404 Can't chdir to tlpkg

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Fri Apr 22 23:37:45 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I keep getting this message when trying to use tlmgr update:

arno at robocat> tlmgr update --all
tlmgr: package repository ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/CTAN/
TLDownload::get_file: response error:
  404 Can't chdir to tlpkg
permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
succeed!Retrying with wget.
TLDownload::get_file: response error:
  404 Can't chdir to tlpkg
permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
succeed!Retrying with wget.
Cannot load TeX Live database from
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/CTAN/ at
/home/texlive2010/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr line 4554.

Typing the error message into google did not result in anything.
Now, the story is a bit longer: For some time, I was not able to use
tlmgr from the command line, getting just this error, but using the GUI
was fine – so I didn't ask here. But now, the GUI also does not work any
more and tells me the same error.
Furthermore, invoking TLContrib as server did work, but now I get

tlmgr: package repository http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/2010
context-filter: local: 21636, source: 20293 (reverse, keep)

tlmgr: groff mentioned, but neither new nor forcibly removed
tlmgr: no updates available

So … I'm quite clueless at the moment and would appreciate any help how
to get tlmgr to do updates again …

cheers
Arno