[tex-live] TeXLive has no stable source tree and resorts to DVD with binaries?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:43:44 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 13 April 2011 21:09:46 Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> 2011/4/13 Kārlis Repsons <karlis.repsons at gmail.com>:
> > On Wednesday 13 April 2011 19:00:44 Norbert Preining wrote:
> >> And it still escapes my understanding what on earth you are trying
> >> to achieve, besides asking questions.
> >
> > At this point: understand a few bits of how TeXLive is maintained and
> > developed (just how it's reflected in the public file trees & svn).
> > The most confusing part for me is about how the stabilization of a
> > development
>
> Looking at the discussion I still cannot understand what you mean by
> stabilization.
For example, someone writes a new package or modifies some script and it's first
placed in some 'unstable' or 'testing' category, only after sufficient
time/feedback moved to 'stable'... Or is that considered a vain effort?

> The packages are taken form CTAN
Looks like (as Karl points out) I'll have to study to understand how they
really relate etc. Thanks to all posters, numerous things became clearer!