[tex-live] TeXLive has no stable source tree and resorts to DVD with binaries?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:09:46 CEST 2011

2011/4/13 Kārlis Repsons <karlis.repsons at gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 13 April 2011 19:00:44 Norbert Preining wrote:
>> And it still escapes my understanding what on earth you are trying
>> to achieve, besides asking questions.
> At this point: understand a few bits of how TeXLive is maintained and
> developed (just how it's reflected in the public file trees & svn).
> The most confusing part for me is about how the stabilization of a development

Looking at the discussion I still cannot understand what you mean by
stabilization. The binaries were stable at the time they were compiled
for the 2010 release and will remain unchanged. New stable binaries
will be compiled for the 2011 release. The packages are taken form
CTAN, not from their development trees. CTAN contains stable releases,
thus TL is just a copy of stable packages.

> software happens here... It's much like if it would not happen at all, but
> then why considering this project currently deviating from release of 2011?

There is a continuous development of binaries, the 2011 release will
contain new stable version of them.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/