[tex-live] TeXLive has no stable source tree and resorts to DVD with binaries?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:51:57 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:42, Kārlis Repsons wrote:

> But I wonder if there is currently any reason not to use TeXLive source tree
> for building a runnable system just because it might be less tested?

You are free to use the source tree. The problem is that it is not
updated on regular basis. That is: TeX Live still contains LuaTeX
0.60**, while the released version of LuaTeX will soon be 0.66 and TeX
Live source tree won't be updated until TeX Live 2011 production
starts - which is going to happen really soon now, but the point still
stands. There is no reason to try to build binaries from source
(unless you want to become part of the development team) or at least
that won't bring you the latest version of binaries or bugfixes.

There is also no guarantee that it still builds on non-linux
platforms, but that is of minor importance (if something fails you
should report it and it should be fixed anyway).

Mojca

** I may be wrong about the exact verson, but this doesn't change what
I'm trying to explain