[tex-live] LaTeXiT troubles: blank output

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 04:11:16 CEST 2011

I used to used texlive 2008 installed via fink, and LaTeXiT worked
fine. I upgraded to texlive 2010 through the MacTex DMG installer,
and LaTeXiT has stopped working. I did the upgrade a few months ago
and have just launched LaTeXiT, so it could be something else, but I
think it is tied to the fink_2008 -> GUI_2010 changes.

When I run LaTeXiT, it appears to run, but the display is blank.

In LaTeXiT, the paths are set correctly, and the tex it tries to
compile is valid.

If I go to the tmp folder where the work is being done, I see
latexit-1.tex and it contains the following valid code. If I run
'pdflatex' on this, I get a valid PDF.

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage[usenames]{color}\color[rgb]{0.000,0.000,0.000}
\usepackage{amssymb} %maths
\usepackage{amsmath} %maths
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\pagestyle{empty} \begin{document}\begin{align*}

%% THIS IS THE CODE I ENTERED IN LATEXIT
hello, world
%% THIS IS THE CODE I ENTERED IN LATEXIT

\end{align*}
\end{document}

However, also in this folder is a file 'latexit-1.pdf', presumably
the version of this document compiled by LaTeXiT. When I view this
file (if I don't run pdflatex myself), I see 4 blank pages. Very
strange. I can send the log file if that will help.

Any idea why valid latex compiled with pdflatex doesn't seem to work
in LaTeXiT?

Thanks,

   -k.