[tex-live] question about archive naming scheme

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Sep 21 11:33:11 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 06:21:30PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Di, 21 Sep 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > If this does not work for them, it is not TeXLive's fault, they still
>
> Well it does work, we have distribution packges for REDHAT, SOME BSDS (AFAIR),
> Debian of course, SUSE (I guess), etc etc ....
>
> I am surprised about the BSD problem, since I remember that Ed Barrett (Name approx)
> packaged for BSD, probably one more of the "My BSD is not Your BSD" (Free, Net,
> Open, Foobar) fighting why they don't share.

I don't know about BSD, but I used to run a Gentoo box, they basically
relay on upstream distributed sources downloaded and built on users
machines, there is no real packages (in Debian or Redhat sense) but
recipes that download, build and install the package, and they don't
upload original sources to their servers either, that why original
upstream packages need to be available at any certain point of time.
So I can see why it does not work for them, but I don't think any of
this is TeXLive's business.

Regards,
 Khaled

--