[tex-live] tlmgr list requires remote repo?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Sep 14 10:01:28 CEST 2010

Hi Adam,

On 09/14/2010 12:20 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
> Would it be possible for tlmgr list to work even if the package repository version does not match?

It does, add
	--only-installed
as option and it will not load the remote database.

> I thought there was a local copy of the database that was sufficient for this purpose.

Yes, but by now the local copy has been replaced with the copy of TL2010
so it will not work.

>  The idea is that some actions (list, show) are useful even if you're not using the latest version of TL.

Yes, for list we have --only-installed, as you cannot add packages anyway.

For show it already only accesses the remote db if you try to list a not
installed package.

So to solve the problems I see only one way for now:
- for 2009 you should update TLU to use --only-installed
- for 2010 I can change tlmgr so that if loading the remote tlpdb in
action_list fails, we fall back to --only-installed

WDYT?

Best

Norbert