[tex-live] TeXLive 2010 distribution bug?

Cory Cohen cfcohen at verizon.net
Sun Sep 12 04:05:41 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm not really qualified to say if this is a bug or not (but it was certainly confusing to me) so I'll call it a story about my first experiences with TeXLive 2010.  :-)  After having used the 2009 distribution for several weeks, I saw the 2010 release was out. I downloaded and ran the Internet based installer for intel Cygwin systems. It installed just fine, but the FMT files were not generated properly, which prevented several commands, including xelatex from working.

The errors generated were about being unable to find the following files:

loadhyph-hy.tex
hyph-hy.tex
loadhyph-en-us.tex
hyph-en-us.tex
loadhyph-lo.tex
hyph-lo.tex

I was able to correct the problem by downloading these files from CTAN and placing them in texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns and loadhyph.  I also had to run the command "texconfig rehash" and then "fmtutil-sys --all" to generate the FMT files.

After these steps, my TeXLive distribution appeared to work fine.  It sort of smells like a distribution problem to me, and since the distro is pretty new, I though there was a chance it might not be my fault.  I hope this is enough information to investigate. I do not need a response, and if you're unable to reproduce the problem, it's probably something to do with my system, which already has two copies of the 2009 release.

Along similar lines, my files that worked correctly under the 2009 distro now generate errors like:

LaTeX Error: Command \nobreakspace unavailable in encoding EU1.

Some earlier discussion on the list led me to believe that this was a reasonable workaround:

\renewcommand{\nobreakspace}{\nobreak\ }

But to be perfectly honest, I don't much understand either the error or the true implications of the workaround.  There seems to be debate about the width of the various Unicode spaces and how to map them into TeX.

Again, I mention it mostly because I expect lots of folks to have LaTeX files with tildes in them, and I'm skeptical that the upgrade to the 2010 distro should break them.

This message was intended to be useful to you and others rather than seeking assistance, so please respond (or not) accordingly.

Cory
--
Sent from my iPhone