[tex-live] simple question on upgrading TL2010 from beta (Khaled Hosny)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 02:56:09 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Karljurgen Feuerherm <kfeuerherm at wlu.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this up. I'm in that exact situation.
>
> I installed TL2009 a few weeks ago, saw the messages about TL2010, but
> have so far done nothing about it because the message trail so far seems
> to suggest that the wise course of action would be to wait until things
> stabilize a little bit (particularly if one is fairly new to this whole
> process).

There are major changes in the engines used with .tex documents,
so I expect stability may be a few years away.   If you rely on TeX,
you should plan to spend some time checking that they work with
the newer engines (xetex and luatex) -- if there are problems it is
better to discover them now than at some time in the future when
older engines are no longer available.

> In due course I'll be wanting to upgrade, and will be hoping that the
> procedure is relatively straightforward (and documented). (I've not
> looked yet, so I'm not assuming otherwise at this point.)

If you install the CTAN version (as opposed to a version packaged
by your linux distro) and do not create symbolic links when you
install, then you can switch between TL2009 and TL2010 by
adjusting the PATH variable.   Given that disk is very cheap this
is worthwhile insurance in case some of your documents encounter
problems with the new version.

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:10:24 +0300
> From: Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>
> To: Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>
> Subject: Re: [tex-live] simple question on upgrading TL2010 from beta
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 06:01:39AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Sa, 11 Sep 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> > Upgrading from an old release to a new release is something many
> people
>> > (especially ones not familiar with internal of texlive) would
> expect, so
>> > I think it is important to document the lack of such option.
>>
>> A feature that has *NEVER* been present ... ?!?!?
>
> And how one would know it is not present when he would, naturally,
> expect it?
>
> Some one installed texlive2009, now texlive2010 is released and he is
> wondering how to upgrade, reading the docs, but it is talking about
> fresh install so he thinks "no, that is not what I want, I already
> have
> 2009 release, I need to just upgrade", so he starts googling, nothing,
> time to join ask texlive list and ask. So by documenting this you are
> saving your and your user's time.
>
> (and this scenario already happened, it is not fictional).
>
> --
>  Khaled Hosny
>  Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team
>  Free font developer
>

> [NB: On sabbatical/out of the office until 30 June 2011, but monitoring
> email and responding periodically]
>
> Karljürgen G. Feuerherm, PhD
> Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies
> Wilfrid Laurier University
> 75 University Avenue West
> Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
> Tel. (519) 884-1970 x3193
> Fax (519) 883-0991 (ATTN Arch. & Classics)

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia