[tex-live] question about archive naming scheme

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Sep 9 17:07:32 CEST 2010

> Why do they lack any hint to the version of the package contained in
> the archive?

Because this information is in the accompanying texlive.tlpdb, as well as in the tlpobj file in the archive.

File names don't give any guarantee.

> This make packaging the software a painful expreience.

I'm packaging TeX Live now since five years, of course it is not easy, but not out of the reason you state.

> and have different checksums.

md5 sums are also in the texlive.tlpd

I recommend to read all the documentation before complaining, the structure is fully documented, and we are distributing since some years now in this way without probkems derived from our namin scheme.

Enjoy

Norbert