[tex-live] Announcing TLContrib

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Oct 10 19:02:38 CEST 2010

On Sa, 09 Okt 2010, Vedran Miletić wrote:
> > I assume Philip's point is that what is not clear is how to set up two
> > repositories at the same time. For example, with Ubuntu you can have more
[...]
> AFAIK, tlmgr doesn't support it yet, so you are correct. Perhaps it
> would be worth implementing.

> Then tlmgr needs to know which package belongs to main repository and
> which belongs to alt, so looking at alt and not finding some package
> from main it would not remove it from the installation and v.v. Also

Yes yes yes. I have proposed solutions to this and partly implemented
them (pinning for packages in combination with multi package support).
But this *is* a hairy matter, the code in tlmgr is already quite
complex to handle the auto-* plus updates, adding multi repos
support is not for the faint of heart.

Actually I have two slightly different implementations, all are in
the svn repository in Master/tlpkg/dev/dev.multi-source-support*
but they are far from actually useable. If someone wants to help
me here please let me know.

Taco wrote:
> current multi-repository support in tlmgr is rudimentary,
> and it needs extensions to make extra sites like tlcontrib
> work in a natural way. We are already discussing such
> extensions off list, but there is no time frame for
> implementation yet.

Please include me in the discussion of that ...

Best wishes

Norbert