[tex-live] what is the canonical way to customize fmtutil.cnf

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Oct 10 13:12:45 CEST 2010

On So, 10 Okt 2010, Ingo Krabbe wrote:
> tlmgr generate will only read the fmtutil-local.cnf if given on the
> command line.  Its not clear to me if/which fmtutil-local.cnf will be
> read automatically.

Huuu? That would be a bug!

No, if fmtutil-local.cnf is in the right directory, the one
you mentioned below
	$(kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFLOCAL)/web2c/fmtutil-local.cnf
a call to
	tlmgr generate fmtutil
will include it automatically!

Please retry, if it is not working as advertised let me know.

Maybe it is simply a documentation issue, and I didn't explain
it clearly enough in the help page.

> formats.  All that seems to be done by `tlmgr generate --localcfg
> fmtutil-local.cnf' is the merging of files, that could also be done by
> `cat $P1/fmtutil.cnf $P2/fmtuil-local.cnf > $D/fmtutil.cnf' which is far
> to few function for a tool that needs some manual page to be read.

No, you *can* disable a format by putting a line
	#!pdflatex
into it, the pdflatex format as defined in the tlpdb will *NOT*
be included in the generated fmtutil.cnf file.

> I tried #!format to disable formats.  Maybe this is a bug, but for me it
> currently looks as a tool of big obfuscation and uselessness.

Why? There is currently no way to permanently disable a format
definition idirectly in the tlpdb, only in the fmutil-local.cnf

So if you want to replace pdflatex format with one of your own definitions,
then inlcude:
	#!pdflatex
	pdflatex myengine .....
and it will work.

The only explanation I see at the moment is either a misunderstanding
of the documentation on your side, or a misunderstanding of your
request on my side, or a bug in tlmgr.

Please let me know which you think is most appropriate.

Best wishes

Norbert
VALLETTA (n.)
On ornate head-dress or loose garment worn by a person in the belief
that it renders then invisibly native and not like a tourist at
all. People who don huge colonial straw collie hats with 'I Luv Lagos'
on them in Nigeria, or fat solicitors from Tonbridge on holiday in
Malaya who insist on appearing in the hotel lobby wearing a sarong
know what we're on about.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff