[tex-live] Announcing TLContrib

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 07:48:40 CEST 2010

On 09/10/2010 00:56, T T wrote:
> On 9 October 2010 00:42, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd)
> <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>  wrote:
>> Yes, I'd already seen and read the<quote>, Martin, but
>> it appears to conflict with the text that I cited :
>>
>> "to use TLContrib as a TeX Live repository, point the TeX
>> Live package manager to http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/2010/"
>>
>> Either it /can/ be used as a TeX Live repository or it
>> cannot, and the text I cited states that it can.
>
> It can be used as a TeX Live repository in the sense that it will be
> compatible with TL management tools and will provide additional
> packages but it will not be a replacement for tlnet.
>
> Cheers,

I assume Philip's point is that what is not clear is how to set up two
repositories at the same time. For example, with Ubuntu you can have
more than one place to look for packages, so the system can try the main
ones then additional ones. This makes it possible to keep the main
system up to date while still adding additional items and without
needing to keep altering the repository. I've got no idea if this is
currently workable in TeX Live.
--
Joseph Wright