[tex-live] Error during format generation

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Nov 20 17:20:29 CET 2010

On 11/20/2010 02:30 PM, Philipp Stephani wrote:

> Also fmtutil-sys --byfmt metafun seems to work. Could this be related
> to the fact that I use TLcontrib? Maybe the versions of MetaFun and
> MetaPost don't match directly after updating from the main
> repository?

Ok, that explains it.

The 'metafun' format generation is actually controlled by the context
package. In the normal context package from texlive, this works fine
because metapost 1.211 still created mem files. But the metapost from
tlcontrib no longer does so, and  that is why fmtutil complains: it
is not the return value of the command but the fact that it does not
produce an actual metafun.mem file.

The context package in tlcontrib is changed to assume that metapost is
version 1.502 or up, and therefore does not have the line that forces
fmtutil to attempt to create metafun.mem, hence no error either.

You can either upgrade context from tlcontrib, or disable metafun.mem
using fmtutil.

Best wishes,
Taco