[tex-live] luainputenc broken after updating from version 18253 to 10326 with tlmgr

Benoit RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Fri Nov 19 14:46:43 CET 2010

Upon further investigation, following Ulrike's remark that i could use

let\luadirect\directlua

before loading luainputenc, I finally found a fix for my problem by loading the luatextra package before luainputenc. The following example :

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{luatextra}
\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\begin{document}
\lipsum
\end{document}

compiles fine with the latest lua*** collection of packages (but doesn't when removing luatextra or loading luatextra _after_ luainputenc). However, I stumbled upon some annoying side effect of updating these packages. I happen to enjoy using the fouriernc package (combination of New Century Schoolbook text fonts and fourier math fonts). Compiling :

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{luatextra}
\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
\usepackage{lipsum, fouriernc}
\begin{document}
\lipsum
\end{document}

stops upon loading the fonts, with the alert :

! LaTeX Error: Command `\hbar' already defined.

I found another workaround, with the savesym package :

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{luatextra, savesym}
\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
\savesymbol{hbar}