[tex-live] Feature requests tlmgr

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 17 12:20:09 CET 2010

On 2010-11-17 01:40, George N. White III wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>>> What problem are you trying to solve?
>>
>> I would like to have automated notification when updates are available
>> for my desktop (pop-up) and for my server (e-mail). So I don't have to
>> chekc manually if updates are there for all the different systems.
>
> Would having distro packages for TL (so you can get update notifications
> the same way you to for distro packages now) be a good solution?

Yes, but unfortunately Ubuntu is still shipping TeX Live 2009.
Meanwhile, I have gotten used to the frequent TeX Live updates which are
of high quality, so I like to keep using tlmgr.

Also, most GNU/Linux distributions are not really keen on volatile
packages so I do not expect that distributions can offer the same up to
date TeX Live as TeX Live can provide itself. For example Scribus is
also shipped as scribus-ng (development branch) in Ubuntu. Such an
initiative would be welcome for TeX Live too.

I hope, Ubuntu et al. will one day fix all this in a proper way so that
e.g. dependencies in font package are not conflicting anymore.

Fonts in TeX Live are much more up to date than the ttf-* packages. This
gives rise to all sorts of problems at the moment. I had to manually
delete the files in ttf-freefont because they were conflicting with the
newer files shipped by TeX Live and too many Ubuntu package dependencies
prevented me from deinstalling ttf-freefont the correct way.